Partner Visa


The Partner visas (subclasses 820 and 801) allow the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is granted first and lets you stay in Australia while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is processed.


You must be married or in a de facto relationship with:

Your marriage must be valid under Australian law. This means you must have parental permission if you are 16 or 17 years of age. You must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months.

Length of stay:

Note: You need to supply all of the documents, except for the character documents, even if you already supplied them for a Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) and must: